During Women’s History Month, much attention is deservedly paid to the “WASPs” of World War II. While there were no Women’s Airforce Service Pilots stationed at Hill Air Force Base during WWII, women here played a vital role in the war effort for many years, helping lay a strong foundation for the host of women maintainers who have long played a vital role in Hill’s support of the warfighter.
Feb. 1943: The first 12 women workers started in the Aircraft Armament Shop in the repair hangars.
April 1943: The first women member of the auxiliary military police began work on what later became a 30-women force.
July 1943: The 907th Women’s Army Auxiliary Corps Post Headquarters Company was activated at Hill Field. The first officer arrived July 24, 1943. Soon after, there were three officers and 11 enlisted women. Barracks were not yet finished when 14 WAACs arrived the last of July, so they moved into on base Civilian Dormitories-Hillcrest Village. On Oct. 1, 1943 the 907th was inactivated and its personnel were attached to the then Women’s Army Corps Detachment 1, Ogden Air Service Command and assigned to the 482nd Base Headquarters and Air Base Squadron.
The first women’s military outfit served at Hill AFB for four years — 1943-47. Four years later, May 16, 1951, another began its assignment as a part of this command: the 3005th Women in the Air Force (WAF) Squadron. By Dec.6, 1954, however, the AF inactivated it, transferring its personnel to other outfits off base.
April 1944: Maintenance put into operation a new Bearing Branch for repair and salvage of engine bearings. Of the approximate 54 personnel, 54 percent were women.
Jan. 1947: The last Women’s Army Corps officer departed from Hill Field to go to Camp Beale, California for separation.