HILL AIR FORCE BASE — Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve, a Department of Defense agency, announced the opening of the nomination season for the 2015 Secretary of Defense Employer Support Freedom Award. National Guard and Reserve members and their families are encouraged to nominate employers who have provided exceptional support of military employees above the federal law requirements. Nominations will be accepted today through Jan. 31.
The Freedom Award is the highest recognition given by the U.S. government to employers for their outstanding support of their employees who serve in the National Guard and Reserve.
Members are encouraged to begin the process by first nominating their employer for the ESGR Patriot Award. This award is an easy way for members to recognize their employers’ important support. Online nominations for the Patriot Award can be completed by going to www.esgr.mil. The next step is to complete the Freedom Award nomination at www.FreedomAward.mil.
These questions can help determine the types of support the Secretary of Defense seeks to recognize above the requirements of the federal law during periods of military service or long deployments:
• Has your employer been nominated for the “ESGR Patriot Award”?
• Does your employer continue full pay and benefits during your military service?
• Does your employer pay you the difference between your civilian pay and military pay if your military pay is less?
• Does your employer provide continuation of your health care benefits during military service?
• Does your employer stay in contact with you during long periods of absence for military service?
• Has your employer sent you a care package or two?
• Does your employer stay in touch with your spouse and family and offer assistance when needed in your absence?
ESGR is a Department of Defense agency established in 1972. Its mission is to promote a culture in which all American employers support and value the military service of their employees. They do this by advocating relevant initiatives, recognizing outstanding support, increasing awareness of the law, and resolving conflicts through mediation.