HILL AIR FORCE BASE — Military Saves Week is quickly approaching, and active-duty service members, their families, retirees, and guard and reservists will have the opportunity to join in on valuable workshops and resources offered daily by the Airman & Family Readiness Center.
The workshops offered during the week raise awareness about financial responsibility, preparedness and resources.
The week of Feb. 23, numerous workshops will be offered for anyone seeking information about finances, budgeting, ways to save money and more.
Free courses include Financial Readiness Binder Course (Utah State University), Drive to 850 (teaching how to access and understand your credit report and credit score, by author Al Bingham), Identity Theft (USU), Couponing in the Digital Age (USU), and a Financial Management Workshop offered by USAA.
All courses require an RSVP at least three days prior to the workshop because a light meal is provided for those in attendance.
Two special opportunities will also be available during Military Saves Week. The first is the opportunity to check your credit score for free on Feb. 27. Those who would like to check their credit score can call and make an appointment between 8 a.m. and 3 p.m. — no special requirements.
“Under normal circumstances, customers would need to schedule a Financial Counseling appointment prior to us helping them access their FICO credit report and score,” said Colette Geiss, a Community Readiness Specialist at the A&FRC. “However, for one day only, we will do this, no strings attached. Checking their credit report and score in this manner will not have any impact whatsoever on a service member’s credit score.”
To make an appointment, call 801-777-4681.
The second opportunity is a weeklong Scavenger Hunt that will start on Feb. 23 at noon and finish on Feb. 27 at noon.
Twenty-one agencies on base will have boxes with “Savers Bucks” available for people to pick up. These “bucks” will detail how to save money by using that particular base agency versus an off-base agency. Participants can complete name and contact information on the back and put it in the box.
A winner will be drawn from all of the box entries around base and will be announced on March 2.
For more information about Military Saves Week, the Scavenger Hunt, the free credit report or to RSVP for a course, contact the A&FRC at 801-777-4681.
Financial Readiness Binder Course — Feb. 23, 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
Drive to 850 — Feb. 24, 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
Identity Theft — Feb. 25, 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
Couponing in the Digital Age — Feb. 26, 6-7 p.m.
Financial Management Workshop — Feb. 27, 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
RSVP at least three days in advance at 801-777-4681.
Scavenger Hunt Instructions:
• Locate “Savings Bucks” at locations around the base.
• Read the savings tip on the front and complete name and contact information on the back.
• Drop completed “Savings Bucks” in Military Saves “Savings Bucks” collection box at each location
• Each “Savings Buck” is considered one entry. Only one entry per family per location.
• Participants will be entered into a drawing for prizes. Notification will take place on March 2.
Scavenger Hunt Locations:
1. A&FRC (Building 150)
2. Airmen’s Attic (Building 150)
3. Arts and Crafts Center (Building 385)
4. Base Education Center (Building 180)
5. BX (Building 412)
6. Child Development Center (Building 470)
7. Main Clinic Pharmacy (Building 570)
8. Commissary (Building 400)
9. Health & Wellness Center (Building 533)
10. Warrior Fitness Center (Building 533)
11. Library (Building 440)
12. Lodging (Building 146)
13. Outdoor Recreation/Information Tickets & Travel (Building 805)
14. Wells Fargo Bank (Building 442)
15. The Landing (Club) (Building 450)
16. America First Credit Union Main Branch (Building 431)
17. Shoppette/Gas Station (Building 420)
18. Bowling Center (Building 525)
19. Thrift Shop (Building 841)
20. Veterinary Clinic (Building 401)
21. Youth Center (Building 883)