WASHINGTON — Zions Bank received the Freedom Award for its support of National Guard and military reserve employees.
Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve, a Department of Defense office, announced 15 recipients of the 2014 Secretary of Defense Employer Support Freedom Award, the highest honor DoD gives to employers for support of National Guard and Reserve employees.
“I’m honored to announce the recipients of the 2014 Secretary of Defense Employer Support Freedom Award,” said Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel. “Guardsmen and Reservists across the nation rely on strong bonds with their civilian employers. By recognizing these 15 exceptional employers, the Department of Defense celebrates the contributions made by American employers to our Citizen Warriors. I commend these extraordinary employers for their unwavering commitment to service members and their families.”
The 2014 Freedom Award recipients below will be honored at a ceremony in the Pentagon Sept. 26:
• Arizona Public Service — Phoenix, Arizona — Army Reserve
• AT&T — Dallas, Texas — Coast Guard Reserve
• Capital One — McLean, Virginia — Army National Guard
• CH2M-WG — Idaho Idaho Falls, Idaho — Navy Reserve
• General Mills Inc. — Golden Valley, Minnesota — Army National Guard
• J.G. Management Systems Inc. — Grand Junction, Colorado — Air Force Reserve
• Los Angeles Fire Department — Los Angeles, California — Navy Reserve
• N.H. Department of Environmental Services — Concord, New Hampshire — Army National Guard
• PNC Bank — Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania — Army National Guard
• Shofner Vision Center — Nashville, Tennessee — Air Force Reserve
• St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital — Memphis, Tennessee — Army Reserve
• Triumph Pharmaceuticals Inc. — St. Louis, Missouri — Army National Guard
• UNC Health Care — Chapel Hill, North Carolina — Navy Reserve
• Washoe County School District — Reno, Nevada — Air National Guard
• Zions Bank — Salt Lake City, Utah — Army National Guard
The 2014 recipients were selected from 2,864 nominations received from Guardsmen and Reservists for going far beyond what the federal law requires to support their military employees. Last year, recipients met with President Barack Obama and senior Defense Department leaders as part of the award recognition.
For more information about the Freedom Award and this year’s recipients, visit www.FreedomAward.mil under the Media Tab in the Press Releases section.
The Freedom Award was instituted in 1996 under the auspices of ESGR to recognize exceptional support from the employer community. In the years since, 190 employers have been honored with the award. To learn more about ESGR, visit www.ESGR.mil.
For questions or interviews regarding the Freedom Award, contact Beth Sherman, ESGR Public Affairs, at OSD.ESGR-PA@mail.mil or by phone at 571-372-0705.