When walking past someone in military uniform, it’s become common to offer a “thanks” for their service and commitment to our country.
During the holidays, the Defense Commissary Agency sees an increase in the sale of their gift cards which provide the gift of groceries as one way to say “thank you” to military members and their families.
A commissary gift card can be purchased by anyone regardless of military affiliation, said Air Force Command Chief Master Sgt. Stuart M. Allison, DeCA’s senior enlisted advisor to the agency director.
“Commissary gift cards make it possible for individuals and organizations everywhere – inside or outside the military community – to help soldiers, sailors, airmen, Marines and their families with a gift they can truly use,” Allison said.
Anyone may purchase a $25 or $50 commissary gift card for an authorized patron online at commissaries.com or at all commissaries worldwide.
Since the program began in 2011, nearly 800,000 gift cards valued at $26.9 million have been sold, said Robert “Bob” Bunch, DeCA’s gift card program manager. “With a redemption rate of over 92 percent, it’s a good bet that this gift of groceries to deserving military service members and families is one that will be used and appreciated.”
Here are some
commissary gift card quick facts:
• Gift cards are available at all commissaries worldwide – on a rack at full service, front-end registers – as well as through the DeCA website on the Gift Card page.
• Cards are good for five years from the date of purchase.
• Commissary gift cards purchased online incur a shipping and handling fee. There are no fees when the card is purchased in a store.
• There is no limit to the number of gifts cards that a purchaser can buy. However, DeCA officials recommend organizations and activities consider purchasing their gift cards online if they plan to purchase more than 50 cards at a time.
• Commissary gift cards can be shipped anywhere in the United States. When shipping outside the United States, an APO, FPO or DPO address must be used.
• To check a gift card’s balance, use the “Check your balance” button on the Gift Card page.
• For customer service questions, please call 877-988-4438, which is also found on the back of the gift card. Customers can also use this number to check the balance on their card.
Gift cards allow our customers to choose how they spend their money – whether it’s stocking up on essentials or splurging on a huge family dinner,” said Allison. “Either way your gift will go further with a commissary gift card.”