FORT LEE, Va. — October marks the unofficial start of the holiday season for commissary customers who reap the benefits of Halloween and Thanksgiving promotions, giveaways and more, said the Defense Commissary Agency’s director of sales.
“Whether it is celebrating Oktoberfest with friends or saluting friends and families from afar with a plump, roasted turkey, your commissary is here for you with extra savings and great ways to enhance your commissary benefit,” said Tracie Russ, DeCA sales director.
Throughout October, DeCA’s industry partners – vendors, suppliers and brokers – are collaborating with commissaries to offer discounts beyond everyday savings. Overseas stores may have substitute events for certain promotional programs. Customers are asked to check their local commissary for details on dates and times for the following promotions:
• Northland presents “Drink To Pink” event. In recognition of Breast Cancer Awareness Month, Apple and Eve’s Northland brands will donate 25 cents per bottle up to $15,000 for juice sold during October. All proceeds will go to the Breast Cancer Research Fund. Look for pink mass displays in your stateside commissary.
• Oktoberfest continues! Through mid-October, commissary customers will find in-store displays and coupons for imported items from Germany and other European countries. A full line of German products will be available: chocolates, cookies, sauerkraut, mustard, red cabbage, pickles, noodles, coffee and more.
• Unilever presents “Italian & American Festival of Savings” from Sept. 25 to Oct. 8 worldwide. In-store coupon flyers and mass displays highlight Unilever brands: Hellmann’s/Best Foods, Lipton, Knorr, Country Crock, Magnum, Talenti, and Breyers; as well as personal care brands including Dove, Vaseline, Q-Tips, and TRESemme. A donation of up to $20,000 will be made to Fisher House based on sales.
• General Mills presents “We Honor and Thank You for All That You Do.” From Sept. 25 to Oct. 22, General Mills will feature in-store, special customer appreciation mass displays offering high-value coupons.
• Halloween! There’s a wide variety of Halloween candy to be purchased before All Hallows’ Eve. Roam the spooky aisles of your local commissary and get your favorite treats before they disappear.
• Thanksgiving holiday meal. Ask for the free turkey coupon booklet around the last week of October because it’s good worldwide for over $41 in savings! Commissary customers can use the high-value coupons to get a free Thanksgiving turkey. This year’s industry partners include Kraft Foods, General Mills, Heinz, P&G, Nabisco, Kellogg’s, Johnsonville, Pepperidge Farm, Campbells, Frito-Lay, and Fresh Express. Booklets also feature preparation tips and holiday recipes. Supplies of these booklets worldwide will be limited. Check out the customized turkey website at www.mymilitarysavings.com.
“We’re offering daily specials throughout the stores and seasonal club packs at great savings for the holidays,” Russ said. “Fall is about apples, and our fresh produce sections will have coupon bundles for even more savings for your family. And, if you don’t have a Commissary Rewards Card, you’re missing out on some really great deals and giveaways, so get one and get more.”