R.M. "Merv" Smith, manager of the Hill Rod and Gun Club, saved a woman's life Aug. 6 during the club's annual Steak Fry on base. Members and guests alerted Smith's wife was choking on a piece of steak lodged in her throat. She could not speak or even breathe and had her hands clutched to her chest and throat. Smith immediately responded and put his training and experience to work. Without hesitation, he stepped up behind her and performed the Heimlich maneuver. This dislodged the steak and allowed his wife to start breathing again. Smith's quick thinking and skilled use of the Heimlich maneuver saved her life.
Smith has managed the Rod and Gun Club for the past eight years. Prior to working at the club, he was a fireman and captain in the Weber County Fire Department. His first aid training and life saving abilities were clearly demonstrated during the event.